Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Dems for Governor Debate
- Joe Paolino moving to Newport, planning strong table games campaign for Newport Grand
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We're Trying To Keep Politics Focused On Issues. Will You Help?
- UPDATE: Hurricane Arthur Threatens 4th of July Celebrations
Gun Legislation in RI
Thu February 28, 2013
AG Kilmartin on Gun Background Checks, New Legislation
There’s a lot of talk on Smith Hill this week about guns, including several new bills that aim to tighten gun ownership and possession laws. We sat down with Attorney General Peter Kilmartin to learn more about how his office is contributing to the gun conversation. One major issue is Rhode Island’s participation in the national gun background check databases.
Note: Kilmartin's office has proposed two gun bills so far: one deals with the removal of serial numbers from guns, the other with the ability to criminally charge minors who are in possession of or use a firearm (currently, they can only be charged for possessing and using).