Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Gun Legislation in RI
Thu February 28, 2013
AG Kilmartin on Gun Background Checks, New Legislation
There’s a lot of talk on Smith Hill this week about guns, including several new bills that aim to tighten gun ownership and possession laws. We sat down with Attorney General Peter Kilmartin to learn more about how his office is contributing to the gun conversation. One major issue is Rhode Island’s participation in the national gun background check databases.
Note: Kilmartin's office has proposed two gun bills so far: one deals with the removal of serial numbers from guns, the other with the ability to criminally charge minors who are in possession of or use a firearm (currently, they can only be charged for possessing and using).