Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
Mon April 29, 2013
Animal Rights Activists Demonstrate at Brown University
Brown University was the target of an animal rights demonstration Sunday.
About a dozen people picketed Brown carrying signs saying “Stop Testing on Animals Now.” The demonstration was organized by the group “In Defense of Animals.” Organizer Christen Baker says the animal experimentation going on at Brown and other universities is unnecessary.
"There are alternatives that need to be explored. They’re safer. They’re cheaper and they’re accurate."
In response to the protest, Brown issued a statement saying it is committed to the highest standards of animal health and safety and that the university complies with federal regulators to ensure that strict policies are adhered to.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd love to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org