Most Active Stories
- Police Name Child Killed By RIPTA Bus
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
Mon June 10, 2013
Avedisian Says He "Can't Vote" for Chafee as a Democrat
"I'm a Republican and I would expect to be supporting the Republican candidate," Avedisian told reporters, including RIPR's Flo Jonic, before a news conference Monday morning.
Avedisian called Chafee's decision to become a Democrat part of "an interesting process." The Republican mayor says it will mark the first time that Chafee will be on a ballot and "I can't vote for him."
Avedisian succeeded Chafee in the Warwick mayor's office in 1999, when John Chafee died and then-Governor Lincoln Almond picked Lincoln Chafee to fill the remainder of his father's US Senate term.
Warwick is among the state's most important communities in a gubernatorial race, and it borders Cranston, home to the expected GOP candidate in next year's fight for governor, Allan Fung.
Chafee became an independent in 2007 after losing a Senate race to Democrat in Sheldon Whitehouse in 2006. He was the only independent governor in the nation before his recent switch to become a Democrat