Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The R.I. And Mass. Casino Conundrum
Mon March 25, 2013
Bench Decision Could Halt Operation at Copar Quarry in Westerly
A Superior Court Judge is expected rule on a lawsuit that could temporarily shut down a quarry in Westerly. Residents are complaining that Copar Quarry is a threat to their health. Copar disagrees.
Residents say Copar Quarry is responsible for air and water pollution, in addition to noise pollution from blasting. Several residents filed a lawsuit last year to temporarily shut down operations at the quarry. That’s what a superior court judge plans to rule on. One resident who lives close to the quarry, Cristina Shea, says its operation is irritating and shouldn’t be allowed in a residential area.
“You go outside and it’s like ra-tat-tat-tat! Beep-beep-beep! And then like I said, the explosions now and then,” she says.
Department of Environmental Management has issued several notices of environmental violations made by the quarry. They include illegal discharge of stormwater and improper solid waste disposal.
But the DEM recently said it found no dust violations. Copar Quarry has appealed some of the violations and worked to comply with state regulations. Copar adds that periodic noise at the quarry is no worse than a car driving by.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com