Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Joe Paolino vs. Edie Ajello?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates Start Taking Off The Gloves
Mon July 1, 2013
Binder Bows Out of Second Challenge to Fox
Binder got an early start by announcing plans for a second challenge in May. Yet in a statement Monday morning, he says he's reconsidered.
Last year I devoted so much time and effort to the race that my business—as a writer, storyteller and independent publisher—began to suffer. While my family helped with the effort, campaigning took me away from our dinner table more and more as my children continued to grow and change.
This fall I have a new book coming out, and want to focus on making it an international success.
Fox beat Binder last year with 58 percent of the vote, in a race that would have been far less notable without the shadow of 38 Studios.
Fox's plans for 2014 remain unclear. Congressman David Cicilline has encouraged Fox to run for mayor of Providence (assuming Angel Taveras runs for governor); Fox could also seek re-election to the House. Spokesman Larry Berman says Fox won't discuss his thoughts until after the end Tuesday of the legislative session.