Most Active Stories
- Bob Kerr: We Have Seen The Best And The Worst
- RI's Brown Bird Finds A Solemn Victory On Final Album
- Learning To Respect A Patient's Wishes At The End Of Life
- Raimondo: State Wants Better Deal on PawSox' Proposed Ballpark
- PawSox Seek Meeting with Raimondo; Team Signals Flexibility After Negative Reaction to Proposal
Wed June 12, 2013
Board Member of State's Largest Teacher's Union Resigns Following Arrest
An elected board member with the state’s largest teachers’ union has resigned from that post following his arrest last week. Louis Rainone was charged after an altercation at an East Greenwich restaurant.
East Greenwich police were called to the Harborside restaurant Friday afternoon after a reported assault. The alleged victim, Kenneth Chatelle, told police Rainone threatened him after being told to go away and then Rainone punched Chatelle in the eye. One witness told police the punch was thrown after Chatelle pushed Rainone away.
Chatelle claims Rainone threatened to throw him into the ocean.
Rainone was charged with simple assault or battery and disorderly conduct. He’s due in court June 21st.
Rainone has resigned as the secretary of the National Education Association Rhode Island. In a statement, the NEA called the circumstances of Rainone’s arrest regrettable and described it as a private matter.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org