Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Joe Paolino moving to Newport, planning strong table games campaign for Newport Grand
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We're Trying To Keep Politics Focused On Issues. Will You Help?
- Rhody Votes '14: Dems for Governor Debate
- UPDATE: Hurricane Arthur Threatens 4th of July Celebrations
Wed June 12, 2013
Board Member of State's Largest Teacher's Union Resigns Following Arrest
An elected board member with the state’s largest teachers’ union has resigned from that post following his arrest last week. Louis Rainone was charged after an altercation at an East Greenwich restaurant.
East Greenwich police were called to the Harborside restaurant Friday afternoon after a reported assault. The alleged victim, Kenneth Chatelle, told police Rainone threatened him after being told to go away and then Rainone punched Chatelle in the eye. One witness told police the punch was thrown after Chatelle pushed Rainone away.
Chatelle claims Rainone threatened to throw him into the ocean.
Rainone was charged with simple assault or battery and disorderly conduct. He’s due in court June 21st.
Rainone has resigned as the secretary of the National Education Association Rhode Island. In a statement, the NEA called the circumstances of Rainone’s arrest regrettable and described it as a private matter.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org