Most Active Stories
- Experts To Brief Lawmakers On Hep C In RI; Cost Of Treatment Likely To Come Up During Budget Talks
- Former Speaker Gordon Fox Pleads Guilty to Bribery, Wire Fraud & Filing a False Tax Return
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Raimondo's Budget Challenges And Secrecy
- Fox Broke Statehouse Iron Rule
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Thu March 14, 2013
Brown Brings National Gun Debate to RI
Brown University kicks off a lecture series on gun violence today with a talk from Carl Bogus, professor of law at Roger Williams University Law School. Bogus will discuss efforts to reduce crime and the effects guns and gun crime have on communities.
The lecture is the first in a series entitled "Guns In America," sponsored by the office of Brown President Christina Paxson. The university says the goal of the series is to explore the causes and social effects of gun violence, as well as the national debate now unfolding.
Brown announced the lecture series after the school shootings in Newtown Connecticut re-ignited a national debate about gun control. Other scheduled speakers include Ellen Alberding, president of the Joyce Foundation; Cheryl Olson, co-director of the Harvard Medical School Center for Mental Health and Media; and Richard Alan Friedman, professor of clinical psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medical College.