Most Active Stories
- Experts To Brief Lawmakers On Hep C In RI; Cost Of Treatment Likely To Come Up During Budget Talks
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Raimondo's Budget Challenges And Secrecy
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Alexander-Scott Nominated To Lead Health Dept.
- Gordon Fox: Financial Problems at the Apex of Political Power in RI
Sun September 8, 2013
Chafee heads to Quebec for energy conference
Governor Lincoln Chafee heads to Quebec this week for the 37th annual conference of the New England Governors and Eastern Canadian Premiers.
On the agenda are the region’s energy future and such related concerns as bringing more Canadian hydro-electric power to New England from the huge Hyrdo-Quebec dams in the northern part of the province.
Chafee is a long-time proponent of hydro-electric energy, which is more environmentally friendly than fossil fuel sources and is cheaper than such new renewable sources as off-shore wind turbines.
``We have an unprecedented opportunity to forge a regional and international coalition,’’ said Chafee in a statement. ``By working together, we can make our region both cleaner and more competitive – reducing energy costs and attracting investments to the region while protecting our quality of life.’’
Chafee is co-chairman of the conference.