Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Joe Paolino vs. Edie Ajello?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates Start Taking Off The Gloves
Thu September 6, 2012
Chafee says a Pisaturo win over McCaffrey would “send a broad, broad message”
Governor Chafee tells the Washington Blade something that’s pretty clear back here in Rhode Island: the matchup between Senate Judiciary chair Michael McCaffrey and Democratic primary challenger Laura Pisaturo is a big one for the same-sex marriage issue. Yet he adds some interesting commentary:
“It’s a blue collar district,” Chafee said. “It’s representative of Rhode Island. If in that district they elect a pro-marriage equality candidate, it’s going to send a broad, broad message across the state.”
Asked whether it would be smooth sailing for a marriage bill if Pisaturo is elected, Chafee said, “That’s a big one. Because it is the committee chair that’s involved. The woman who’s running is openly gay and talks about her advocacy for marriage equality.”
As we know, Speaker Gordon Fox has announced plans to push forward with a same-sex marriage vote. So the Senate looms as the big question mark.