Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
Mon April 22, 2013
Contract Extension Likely For Ed. Commissioner Gist
Rhode Island Education Commissioner Deborah Gist is working out terms for an extension of her contract. The controversial Gist is expected to remain at the helm of the state Department of Education.
Education Commissioner Deborah Gist led the team that brought Rhode Island a $75 million federal Race to the Top grant. But she’s also been criticized for shepherding in an era of tough teacher evaluations and high stakes testing as a graduation requirement.
Board of Education Chair Eva Marie Mancuso said talks are currently underway to keep Gist in Rhode Island, at the request of Governor Lincoln Chafee.
"Well as you know her contract expires in June, and we are in the process of negotiations right now," Mancuso said.
Mancuso said a performance evaluation will be part of the contract extension process. A spokesman for Deborah Gist said she wants to stay in Rhode Island.