Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Joe Paolino vs. Edie Ajello?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates Start Taking Off The Gloves
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Newport City Manager Cites Difficult City Council In Decision To Step Down
Wed October 30, 2013
Couple Found Dead In Their Rhode Island Home
A couple was found dead in their Cranston home Wednesday morning and investigators suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. The home had no smoke or carbon monoxide detectors.
Cranston firefighters were called to a home on Pontiac Avenue at 8:30 am on a report of two people found unresponsive. It was too late to save the 40-year-old man and 36-year-old woman. Cranston fire marshal Stephen MacIntosh said the home was heated with a portable generator that should have been outside but was installed in the basement. Carbon monoxide levels in the home, he said, were high.
“In normal circumstances it’s vented out into the air. There’s no problem. But in this case here it was used improperly by running it inside the home where the gas was not allowed to exhaust into the air,” said MacIntosh. “It just filled up the house.”
MacIntosh reminds Rhode Islanders that October is Fire Prevention Month. When you turn your clocks back this weekend, it’s recommended that you change the batteries on your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors as well.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com