Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Joe Paolino vs. Edie Ajello?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates Start Taking Off The Gloves
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Newport City Manager Cites Difficult City Council In Decision To Step Down
Wed July 3, 2013
DEM: Mosquitoes Are Out in Full Force This Weekend
If you’re going outdoors this weekend, as many of us will, you’ll want to protect yourself against mosquito bites. The state Department of Environmental Management is reporting the largest crop of mosquitos in at least 21 years.
The reason: heavy rains last month. The warm, dry air mass that’s with us now is slowly killing the mosquito population, but the DEM’s Alan Gettman said they’ll be bad this weekend, particularly at fireworks shows.
“I think people should be prepared for noticeable mosquito biting in the evenings. Have repellant handy and have the long sleeves, shirt handy; the long pants handy,” said Gettman. “Those are the common sense things people will be thinking of doing in the next few days.”
Rhode Island traps mosquitos at 32 sites and checks them weekly. So far all tests have been negative for Eastern Equine Encephalitis and West Nile virus. But Massachusetts has had one confirmed case of West Nile virus.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com