Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 20 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rep Lally Resigns; Susan Cicilline Buonanno Wants to Succeed Him
- A Deeper Look Into Rhode Island's Possible Pension Settlment
- A Small Victory In Providence's Latest Fight Against Foreclosures
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Raimondo's Budget Politics
Wed October 16, 2013
Diane Ravitch On Standardized Tests, Charter Schools, And Teacher Evaluations In RI
It’s October, and that means students across Rhode Island are filling in bubbles on standardized tests. The annual use of testing in math and English has become a controversial tool for rating schools, and making decisions about high school diplomas, and it will soon be part of teacher evaluations too. One researcher who started out supporting standardized testing now says its part of the problem in public schools. Diane Ravitch has become one of the strongest voices in the national debate and she spoke at the University of Rhode Island last night.
Before her talk, she took a few minutes to speak with Rhode Island Public Radio.
The Education Blog