Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Mon February 11, 2013
Education secretary cancels trip to RI
U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan will have to forgo his trip to Rhode Island, no thanks to the weather. Duncan was scheduled to attend a town hall-style meeting tonight on school safety and to headline a Tuesday morning event at the Rhode Island Convention Center. His office says the secretary's flight to Rhode Island was canceled.
A group of teachers had planned to protest outside the event tonight at Providence's Classical High School. The teachers say they are are unhappy with a partnership between their union and the Providence Public Schools, which is aimed at turning around troubled schools.
The turnaround effort was to be the focus of an event Tuesday at the Rhode Island Convention Center. The Providence Teachers' Union and district officials have formed a partnership called "United Providence," which is already working to overhaul several low performing schools.
Update: Organizers say that event will go on even without Duncan. They're looking at having him piped in with an audio or video feed.
The Education Blog