Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
Wed September 21, 2011
Gordon refuses to resign
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – State Representative Daniel Gordon says his past legal problems stem from post-traumatic stress disorder that he developed during the Persian Gulf War.
Gordon has a lengthy record in Massachusetts, including a conviction for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. He blames those troubles on stress related to his Marine service in Iraq and Kuwait during the Gulf war.
"I dealt with that as many veterans do, by self-medicating with alcohol," he says. "And I can say unequivocally that each and every one of those incidents in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is either directly or indirectly related to that self-medication."
Gordon says he didn't disclose his record when he ran for office since it didn't reflect well on him. Some lawmakers have called on Gordon to resign. The freshman Republican from Portsmouth says he no longer drinks and will let voters decide his fate when he seeks reelection next year.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.