Most Active Stories
- Experts To Brief Lawmakers On Hep C In RI; Cost Of Treatment Likely To Come Up During Budget Talks
- Former Speaker Gordon Fox Pleads Guilty to Bribery, Wire Fraud & Filing a False Tax Return
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Raimondo's Budget Challenges And Secrecy
- Fox Broke Statehouse Iron Rule
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Tue June 18, 2013
Gov. Chafee Shrugs off Bloomberg Fundraiser for Treasurer Raimondo
Gov. Lincoln Chafee is shrugging off news that New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is holding a fundraiser this week for state Treasurer Gina Raimondo.
Bloomberg stumped for Chafee in the 2010 governor’s race calling him one of the nation’s most effective leaders. Channel 12 reports that Bloomberg is hosting a fundraiser Thursday for treasurer Gina Raimondo, who is expected to run for governor.
When asked if he was disappointed that Bloomberg was helping a potential rival, Chafee responded, “I really just focus on running the state and the politics will take care of themselves down the road.”
Bloomberg's spokesman Howard Wolfson tells Rhode Island Public Radio that Bloomberg thinks Raimondo is, "a real superstar." He said Bloomberg was impressed with the state's pension overhaul, which Raimondo lead. And that the mayor has been disappointed that Chafee hasn’t done more to promote charter schools.
Chafee said he expects fundraising to be competitive in the 2014 governor’s race. Raimondo has $1.7 million dollars in her campaign war chest.
Editor's Note: This story was updated at 5:30pm on June 18th
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com