Most Active Stories
- Bob Kerr: We Have Seen The Best And The Worst
- RI's Brown Bird Finds A Solemn Victory On Final Album
- Raimondo: State Wants Better Deal on PawSox' Proposed Ballpark
- Learning To Respect A Patient's Wishes At The End Of Life
- PawSox Seek Meeting with Raimondo; Team Signals Flexibility After Negative Reaction to Proposal
Mon December 2, 2013
Gov. Chafee: This Year We’ll Call It A Christmas Tree
Gov. Lincoln Chafee has had a change of heart over what to call the tree that graces the Statehouse every December.
After coming in for intense criticism for calling the Statehouse tree a “holiday tree,” Gov. Lincoln Chafee is bowing to public pressure to change the nomenclature.
According to a press release issued by the governor’s office, this year the tree will be known as a “Christmas tree.” The release said strangely lost in the brouhaha was any discussion of religious liberty. Chafee made national headlines last year and even did battle with Fox News’s Bill O’Reilly over calling it a “holiday tree.”
Secretary of State Ralph Mollis has offered to light the tree and the governor has accepted the offer. The tree lighting ceremony will be on Thursday starting at 5:30 pm in the Statehouse rotunda.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org