Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Tue March 12, 2013
Governor Lincoln Chafee Defends Report Secrecy
Governor Lincoln Chafee is trying to explain why he’s withholding a report that details waste, fraud and abuse in the state’s Medicaid and food stamp programs. The report was done by former Moderate Party gubernatorial candidate Ken Block. Chafee says he asked Block to conduct the investigation about a year ago. But now that it’s done, the governor is refusing to release it.
At a ribbon-cutting ceremony in Providence reporters asked why. "We asked for this report and now of course you don’t want to jeopardize an investigation by telling everybody where there might be some abuse. So this is a methodical approach to an efficient program of running the taxpayer’s dollars."
Chafee added "I want to make sure to protect the taxpayer dollars go after the abuse. If it helps the investigation to release it, definitely. If it harms the investigation, no."
In response to a reporter's question of "Is there a criminal investigation underway?" the Governor replied "Not at this point."
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com