Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Tue March 12, 2013
Governor Lincoln Chafee Defends Report Secrecy
Governor Lincoln Chafee is trying to explain why he’s withholding a report that details waste, fraud and abuse in the state’s Medicaid and food stamp programs. The report was done by former Moderate Party gubernatorial candidate Ken Block. Chafee says he asked Block to conduct the investigation about a year ago. But now that it’s done, the governor is refusing to release it.
At a ribbon-cutting ceremony in Providence reporters asked why. "We asked for this report and now of course you don’t want to jeopardize an investigation by telling everybody where there might be some abuse. So this is a methodical approach to an efficient program of running the taxpayer’s dollars."
Chafee added "I want to make sure to protect the taxpayer dollars go after the abuse. If it helps the investigation to release it, definitely. If it harms the investigation, no."
In response to a reporter's question of "Is there a criminal investigation underway?" the Governor replied "Not at this point."
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com