Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Joe Paolino moving to Newport, planning strong table games campaign for Newport Grand
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We're Trying To Keep Politics Focused On Issues. Will You Help?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The Providence Mayoral Race, It's Not All About Buddy
- Mattiello: Cianci's Effect on RI's Image is For Voters to Decide
Tue June 18, 2013
Harrop Planning Third Run For Providence Mayor
A Providence psychiatrist has announced his candidacy for mayor of the capital city, and this is a man with a lot of experience running for the job.
After unsuccessful mayoral runs in 2006 and 2010, Dr. Daniel Harrop – a longtime Republican activist – is running for mayor of Providence again. As a Republican in a largely Democratic city, it will be an uphill climb. But Harrop said the city’s unfunded pension liability under the leadership of Democrats is unsustainable.
"We can’t fund the pension plan. There is no way to do that. We’ve kicked it down the road for another few years. So instead of going under in four, maybe we’ll go under in seven or eight [years]. That’s not a way to run the city," said Harrop.
Harrop is the first Republican to announce his candidacy for Providence mayor. Democrats pondering a run include lobbyist Brett Smiley, City Council President Michael Solomon and Central Falls educator Victor Capellan.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org