Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Tue January 29, 2013
Harvard announces major NFL study
Harvard University is partnering with the National Football League on a $100 million research project looking into serious health problems among NFL players. The initiative announced in today's Boston Globe will focus on 1,000 retired NFL players to better understand and potentially treat a wide range of physical ailments.
Much attention has focused recently on the repercussions of repetitive brain trauma for football players, especially after the high profile suicide of Patriots' former linebacker Junior Seau. The study will look at that issue along with reduced life expectancy, arthritis and prescription pain killer abuse and other concerns.