Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Thu June 13, 2013
Hittner Nominated as Next Health Insurance Commissioner
Governor Lincoln Chafee has nominated Dr. Kathleen Hittner as Rhode Island’s next Health Insurance Commissioner. Hittner must be confirmed by the senate.
Hittner has been tapped to replace outgoing commissioner Chris Koller, who is stepping down to become president of the Milbank Memorial Fund in New York City.
Hittner was chief anesthesiologist at both Roger Williams Medical Center and The Miriam Hospital and later president and CEO of Miriam. She’s been on the faculty of the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University and served as a top executive at Lifespan. She’s also been a board member for several community and business organizations, including for T.F. Green airport.
As insurance commissioner, Hittner would be charged with protecting consumer interests and crafting policies that encourage health insurers to improve efficiency, quality, and price. Koller’s last day as insurance commissioner is June 28th.