Most Active Stories
- Police Name Child Killed By RIPTA Bus
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
Thu February 28, 2013
Move Over Stuffie, Here Comes "Rhode Island Calamari"
If Rep. Joseph McNamara gets his way, calamari will become the official state appetizer. The stuffie shouldn’t take this personally.
If McNamara’s bill becomes law, then Rhode Island calamari would be listed as the official state appetizer on the state’s website and in promotional material. And the way McNamara sees it that could land the phrase, “Rhode Island calamari” on restaurant menus across the country, giving the state’s biggest catch a little buzz marketing. As for the quahog and the stuffie, McNamara says it’s not personal.
“Although I love stuffies as much as the next Rhode Islander, and also feel very passionate about them, we do have the quahog as our state shellfish,” says McNamara. “So we feel as though that we’ve paid adequate tribute to our quahogs and now it’s time to salute our fishing industry.”
McNamara says Rhode Island has the largest squid fishing fleet on the East Coast. A study out of Johnson & Wales says the state’s 2010 squid catch was worth $7.5 million.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com