Most Active Stories
- Gatehouse Media Targeting Unidentified Number of Buyouts at ProJo
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The Streetcar No One Desires
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Hillary Clinton Slated To Come To RI For Mid-June Fundraiser
Wed August 13, 2014
New Ordinance Cracks Down On Providence Strip Clubs
The city of Providence has adopted a new “one-strike” policy for strip clubs. The new ordinance is aimed at cracking down on prostitution.
The Providence City council approved the ordinance after pushback from the Mayor’s office and the police department over an incident at Cheaters Gentlemen’s club last year. Police found a fourteen year old girl working at the club, and soliciting for sex. The city’s board of licenses gave Cheaters a five-thousand dollar fine, and suspended their license for 45-days. But critics said that was little more than a slap on the wrist.
Now the city can shut down clubs after any such offense. Advocates say it’s an important step in protecting children, and cracking down on human trafficking.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org
Scott MacKay Commentary
Rhody Votes 2014