Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Thu September 19, 2013
New Poll Shows Taveras Edging Out Raimondo In Potential Democratic Primary for Governor
A new poll commissioned by Angel Taveras’ campaign organization shows Taveras with a significant lead over his expected Democratic primary rival for governor, Gina Raimondo. The poll sampled 400 likely Democratic primary voters.
The poll by a Washington DC polling firm shows Taveras with a 19-point lead over Raimondo. According to the poll, 49 percent of the respondents want Taveras to be governor, while 30 percent prefer Raimondo. An additional 21 percent of respondents were undecided. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus five percentage points.
Both Taveras, the mayor of Providence, and state treasurer Raimondo are expected to announce Democratic campaigns for governor in the near future. The duo has consistently polled as the two most popular elected officials in Rhode Island. A January poll by Public Policy Polling showed Raimondo as the frontrunner.
Taveras’ pollsters say they’re pleased where Taveras would start in a gubernatorial campaign. They say he has a strong personal image and credibility as an effective leader.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com