Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Thu March 21, 2013
Obama Gives Netanyahu Historic Gift From RI
On President Barack Obama’s first day in Israel yesterday, he brought along a little piece of Rhode Island. President Obama gifted Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with a framed wooden fragment of the U.S.’s oldest synagogue: the Touro Synagogue in Newport.
In 1790, President George Washington wrote a letter to the Newport congregation, conveying a now-famous statement on the American right to religious freedom. A quote from this letter is included with the synagogue fragment.
Co-President of the Jeshuat Israel Congregation Bea Ross says that the State Department looks for unique, symbolic gifts for foreign heads of state.
“Touro Synagogue is the oldest synagogue in America, and the synagogue stands as a symbol of religious freedom for all Americans.”
In addition to his visit to Israel, President Obama will make his first visits to the Palestinian Authority and Jordan this week.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com