Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Mon January 7, 2013
Portsmouth High Band invited to President's inauguration
(PROVIDENCE, RI) In Portsmouth, fundraising efforts are underway to help the high school band get down to Washington DC to play in the President’s inaugural parade. The invitation came out of the blue.
Portsmouth high school band director Ted Rausch says the invitation to play in the inaugural parade was a complete surprise. He thinks it has something to do with a performance they gave last spring.
"I didn’t apply for it. We were at DC last year for the Cherry Blossom Festival parade but apparently we were noticed by staff members last year at the Cherry Blossom parade so the staff members recommended us and then we got the call."
The band is trying to raise $30,000 to make the trip to Washington. The kids, says Rausch, are thrilled.
"They’re realizing the importance of this and what it means to the school. We haven’t been since 1981 – as far as Portsmouth has – so I think they’re slowly understanding this is an important event for them to be part of."
A final decision hasn’t been made about what they’ll play but last week Rausch was leaning towards an American medley.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org