Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Wed September 4, 2013
Potential Providence Mayoral Candidates Ramping up Fundraising
Two of the Democrats running for mayor of Providence next year are stepping up their campaign fundraising.
Roger Williams University Law School professor Jorge Elorza said he hopes to collect 30-thousand dollars by the end of the third fundraising quarter September 30th. Elorza said he hopes to collect 30-thousand to 40-thousand a month until the September 2014 primary.
Providence’s current mayor, Angel Taveras, is expected to run for governor next year.
Another Democratic candidate for mayor, consultant Brett Smiley, has his first fundraiser September 12th. Smiley said he plans four other fundraisers this month, and like Elorza, he hopes to raise about a half-million dollars for his campaign.
Smiley and Elorza have a long way to go to catch up in their fundraising with another candidate, Providence City Council President Michael Solomon who has close to 500-thousand dollars in his war chest.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you.