Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Mon October 22, 2012
ProJo-Guild talks continuing; outlook on averting layoffs unclear
Providence Journal management and the Providence Newspaper Guild are expected to conclude talks aimed at averting layoffs by the end of the month, although the outlook remains unclear, says Guild president John Hill.
If layoffs do occur as management tries to hit a targeted spending cut of $1.2 million, they would be based on the news and advertising employees with the least seniority, Hill says.
That would further diminish the number of younger workers at the ProJo, where previous buyouts and layoffs have resulted in a staff mostly long on seniority. By a rough estimate, the targeted $1.2 million target is the equivalent of about 15 jobs at the statewide newspaper.