Most Active Stories
- Police Name Child Killed By RIPTA Bus
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
Tue July 16, 2013
Protesters Rally Against "Choose Life" Plates and Restrictions on Abortions
About 40 people gathered on the south side of the Rhode Island State House Monday evening, chanting and speaking out against recent legislation that passed in Texas which will restrict abortions.
The rally also urged Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee not to sign into law legislation that would allow a “choose life” license plate to be created.
Money from the plate would go to counseling to dissuade women from getting abortions.
Organizer Lindsay Goss said that though this rally was small, she is already planning for the future.
“We want to build something that is broad enough and strong enough, and politically clear enough on the question of women’s full equality, and the question of abortion rights, that our legislators don’t even feel like they can even put this sort of stuff forward," said Goss.
Goss said the group also hopes to see fuller coverage of reproductive healthcare become part of the Rhode Island Health Benefits Exchange.