Most Active Stories
- Experts To Brief Lawmakers On Hep C In RI; Cost Of Treatment Likely To Come Up During Budget Talks
- Former Speaker Gordon Fox Pleads Guilty to Bribery, Wire Fraud & Filing a False Tax Return
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Raimondo's Budget Challenges And Secrecy
- Fox Broke Statehouse Iron Rule
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Wed August 14, 2013
Providence Bishop Announces Republican Party Affiliation
The Bishop of Providence, Thomas Tobin, said he has become a registered Republican.
Tobin told a group of Rhode Island Young Republicans he blamed himself and the Catholic Church for the legalization of same-sex marriage.
He also said Catholic lawmakers at the State house quote “let us down.”
The Dioceses of Providence wrote a "Letter to Catholics on the Approval of Same-Sex Marriage" which was published in the newspaper, Rhode Island Catholic Newspaper following the passage in May.
The Bishop said he decided to switch his party affiliation in 2012 because the Democratic Party’s views on abortion and same-sex marriage did not match up with his faith.
Tobin has been a vocal opponent of same-sex marriage, and defended his political outspokenness saying it applies the teaching of the church to current issues.
NOTE: This post has been corrected to state that the Dioceses issued a "Letter to Catholics" on same-sex marriage, which constitutes a statement.
Same-Sex Marriage Legislation