Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Wed October 12, 2011
Providence police brace for Occupy Providence
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – Providence police officials are getting ready for a demonstration later this week by a group inspired by the Occupy Wall Street protests.
Occupy Providence has announced plans for a march through the capital city's downtown at 5 pm Saturday. It also plans to maintain a presence at Burnside Park in Kennedy Plaza. Providence Public Safety Commissioner Steven Pare says law enforcement isn't sure what to expect.
"We just don't know the number of people they expect," Pare says. "As far as permits, it all depends on what they're planning to do. If they want to gather and just make a public statement in protests with signs, et cetera, we can probably accommodate them."
Pare says police will be more concerned if the protesters interfere with traffic, business, and public safety.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.