Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Dems for Governor Debate
- Joe Paolino moving to Newport, planning strong table games campaign for Newport Grand
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We're Trying To Keep Politics Focused On Issues. Will You Help?
- TGIF: 10 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Mon January 13, 2014
Raimondo Kicks Off Campaign For Governor, Rolls Out Ideas
Democratic gubernatorial candidate Gina Raimondo started fleshing out her vision for Rhode Island as she formally announced her campaign Monday morning.
Raimondo emphasized the economy, laying out ideas that include writing off some college loans to encourage grads to stay in Rhode Island, creating a funding formula for road and bridge improvements, and establishing an institute to foster growth-sector jobs.
The 42-year-old Democratic state treasurer told supporters at Hope Artiste Village in Pawtucket that Rhode Island needs to set its sights higher. “It’s time to change the tone at the top,” said Raimondo. “We need a tone at the top, a governor with a tone of urgency and focus and possibility as we turn this economy around.”
Raimondo initially announced her run for governor last month. Providence mayor Angel Taveras is also running, and fellow Democrat Clay Pell is considering a run. Voters will decide the Democratic primary for governor in September.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org