Most Active Stories
- Bob Kerr: We Have Seen The Best And The Worst
- RI's Brown Bird Finds A Solemn Victory On Final Album
- Learning To Respect A Patient's Wishes At The End Of Life
- Raimondo: State Wants Better Deal on PawSox' Proposed Ballpark
- PawSox Seek Meeting with Raimondo; Team Signals Flexibility After Negative Reaction to Proposal
Wed August 1, 2012
Raimondo moves toward 2014 with big 2Q; Taveras no slouch
Although state Treasurer Gina Raimondo predictably downplayed talk during a recent interview about a possible run for governor in 2014, her fundraising machine just keeps humming along.
The former venture capitalist raised an impressive $258,155 during the quarter that ended June 30, leaving her with a $857,903 war chest.
Although Providence Mayor Angel Taveras outraised Raimondo by almost $100,000 last year, his campaign account dwindled as he paid off campaign-related debts.
Taveras nonetheless raised a robust $114,810 during Q2, bringing his campaign kitty to $237,239.
The twin rising stars of local Democratic politics have demonstrated the ability to draw on a broad array of contributors. So having a well-funded campaign won’t be a problem should they clash in the 2014 gubernatorial primary.