Most Active Stories
- Police Name Child Killed By RIPTA Bus
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
Thu August 29, 2013
Reed and Whitehouse Hear About The Effects of the Sequester In Rhode Island
Rhode Island’s two US senators say the across-the-board spending cuts known as the sequester are having a negative effect across the Ocean State. Reports, the impact of those cuts was the focus of a forum in Providence Wednesday.
Rhode Island Housing, which recently lost 30 employees partly due to federal spending cuts, was the site of the forum hosted by Senators Jack Reed and Sheldon Whitehouse.
Speakers at the forum pointed to a variety of impacts from the sequester. One said the federal spending cuts have eliminated a year of research at URI. Another said one-fifth of Rhode Island’s defense sector jobs have been hit by furloughs or layoffs. Still another said almost 400 children won’t go to preschool because of the cuts.
Democrats like Reed and Whitehouse support what they call “a balanced approach” to spending cuts. Some Republicans praise the sequester as a way to reduce what they call excessive federal spending.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org