Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Joe Paolino moving to Newport, planning strong table games campaign for Newport Grand
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We're Trying To Keep Politics Focused On Issues. Will You Help?
- Rhody Votes '14: Dems for Governor Debate
- Mattiello: Cianci's Effect on RI's Image is For Voters to Decide
Wed September 4, 2013
Rhode Island Politicians Praise Chafee for his Public Service
As the media burst with news that Gov. Lincoln Chafee was not seeking re-election, the state’s top elected officials crafted statements praising the governor.
Providence Mayor Angel Taveras and state treasurer Gina Raimondo, who are both expected to run for Chafee’s office, released statements thanking him for his years of public service. Taveras called him a man of integrity, while Raimondo called Chafee an unfailing optimist who always had the state’s best interest at heart.
Cranston Mayor Allan Fung, the expected Republican candidate in next year’s race, wished Chafee well and said he was surprised by the news, “he does what he does and a lot of times it’s unexpected,” said Fung. “So it’s definitely a wow moment.”
From the Statehouse, Senate President Teresa Paiva Weed said the governor made decisions based upon the courage of his convictions. And House Speaker Gordon Fox said Gov. Chafee made decisions with Rhode Islanders in mind.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com