Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Newport City Manager Cites Difficult City Council In Decision To Step Down
Tue April 30, 2013
Rhode Island Republicans Eye Reed's Seat
The state Republican chairman says the GOP plans to field a candidate when Senator Jack Reed seeks re-election next year. A fundraiser on Monday, featuring Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, helped pour even more money into Reed’s campaign war chest.
Reed is considered to have one of the safest seats in the US Senate, and he’s sitting on a war chest of about $2 million. Reed, a Democrat, plans to seek his fourth term next year.
State GOP chairman Mark Smiley says a few Republicans are considering running against Reed. Smiley wouldn’t identify any of the potential candidates, but he says they need to make a decision soon to start raising money.
The GOP chair points to Warren’s appearance on Reed’s behalf as a sign that the senator may be more vulnerable that widely assumed. During his last election, in 2006, Reed beat Republican Robert Tingle with 73 percent of the vote.