Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Fri September 20, 2013
Rhode Island's Unemployment Increasing
Rhode Island’s unemployment rate is headed in the wrong direction.
Rhode Island’s unemployment rate increased from 8.9 percent in July to 9.1 percent in August. At the same time the national unemployment rate fell one-tenth of a percentage point to 7.3 percent.
The number of unemployed residents is 50,100 – up 800 from July. Over the year, however, the number of unemployed has fallen by about eight thousand.
Job gains were reported in the retail, educational, food service and government sectors. The manufacturing sector trimmed 300 jobs in August. Smaller losses were reported in wholesale trade, financial activities and arts and recreation.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bottom Line