Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- The paranoid opposition to RhodeMap RI
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Fri September 20, 2013
Rhode Island's Unemployment Increasing
Rhode Island’s unemployment rate is headed in the wrong direction.
Rhode Island’s unemployment rate increased from 8.9 percent in July to 9.1 percent in August. At the same time the national unemployment rate fell one-tenth of a percentage point to 7.3 percent.
The number of unemployed residents is 50,100 – up 800 from July. Over the year, however, the number of unemployed has fallen by about eight thousand.
Job gains were reported in the retail, educational, food service and government sectors. The manufacturing sector trimmed 300 jobs in August. Smaller losses were reported in wholesale trade, financial activities and arts and recreation.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bottom Line