Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Tue April 16, 2013
RI Blood Center Seeks Donors to Replenish Supply
The Rhode Island Blood Center shipped blood to Boston hospitals to help victims of the explosions at the marathon. Now, the Center is looking for Rhode Island donors, but not for emergencies.
The Center said in a statement that it doesn’t anticipate needing to send more units of blood to Boston hospitals. What went to Boston didn't come from emergency donations, but what was already on the shelves.
That’s why the Blood Center is encouraging Rhode Islanders to become regular donors and keep their scheduled appointments to donate. The Rhode Island Blood Center is the sole source of blood and blood products for all Rhode Island hospitals’. It has to collect nearly 400 pints of blood a day just to keep up with the community’s regular needs.
Boston Marathon Explosion