Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Wed August 14, 2013
RI Turnpike and Bridge Authority Yet To Establish Toll Collection Policy
A 10-cent toll will go into effect next Monday on the Sakonnet River Bridge. The Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority has not yet established a new policy for collecting the tolls.
The General Assembly set the new 10-cent toll in the closing days of the legislative session earlier this summer. Turnpike and Bridge Authority Chairman David Darlington said the authority needs to gather more information before making a new policy.
"What I think is probably the more prudent thing to do is for us is let the tolls begin on the 19th and then we can get actual numbers and actual information about how many folks are using EZPass, how many folks are infrequent users, how many people are using it frequently and not paying," said Darlington.
The legislature added the 10-cent toll on the Sakonnet basically as a placeholder. That came after lawmakers learned the absence of a toll on the new bridge could prevent tolls from ever being added there.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org