Most Active Stories
- Experts To Brief Lawmakers On Hep C In RI; Cost Of Treatment Likely To Come Up During Budget Talks
- Former Speaker Gordon Fox Pleads Guilty to Bribery, Wire Fraud & Filing a False Tax Return
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Raimondo's Budget Challenges And Secrecy
- Fox Broke Statehouse Iron Rule
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Wed March 20, 2013
Same-sex Marriage Bill to be Considered by Senate Committee
Critics say a bill calling for a statewide referendum on same-sex marriage would expand discrimination in Rhode Island.
The pro-same-sex marriage group Rhode Islanders United for Marriage says the referendum bill includes overly broad exemptions for clergy and small businesses.
Ray Sullivan is the campaign director for Rhode Islanders United for Marriage.
“Small businesses could object to providing public accommodations based on a person’s sexuality identity, relationship status.”
Some opponents of same-sex marriage, including Roman Catholic Bishop Thomas Tobin, support a referendum, calling it a compromise.
The bill will be discussed during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing Thursday.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org