Most Active Stories
- Police Name Child Killed By RIPTA Bus
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
Fri October 11, 2013
State Unemployment Numbers Unavailable Until Government Shutdown Ends
Rhode Islanders will have to wait a little longer this month to find out what the September unemployment rate was. The state Department of Labor and Training says the data will not be released as scheduled on October 17th because of the partial government shutdown.
Department spokeswoman Laura Hart said the Census Bureau collects data that is used to calculate the state jobless rate.
"Rhode Island unemployment numbers are dependent on the national numbers. So we cannot calculate the Rhode Island numbers until we have the national numbers. We don’t have the national numbers yet," said Hart.
Rhode Island’s August unemployment rate was 9.1 percent, the third highest in the country.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com