Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Fri February 22, 2013
Tall Ship SSV Oliver Hazard Perry At Home in RI
Rhode Island will soon be home to its very own Tall Ship: the SSV Oliver Hazard Perry. Picture the HMS Rose, featured in the Hollywood film Master & Commander, but much larger and made of steel. The 196 foot SSV Oliver Hazard Perry will be thirteen and a half stories tall, with three masts supporting square sails. The ship is being built by a non-profit organization, and is named for a Rhode-Island born naval hero of the War of 1812.
After construction is completed on the new educational vessel, its permanent home dock will be at the Fort Adams State Park in Newport. Richard Bailey, the Designated Captain, said that the ship will partner with educational groups on voyages as short as a day-cruise and as long as a semester at sea, sailing through deep water to foreign ports.
“We think it will be a great educational resource for the entire state, and it will also be a great ambassador for the state, when it sails in the future to foreign ports, it will always say ‘Rhode Island’ on the stern.”
Students on the ship will learn to operate sails, steer, stand watch, and even navigate by the stars.