Most Active Stories
- Bob Kerr: We Have Seen The Best And The Worst
- RI's Brown Bird Finds A Solemn Victory On Final Album
- Learning To Respect A Patient's Wishes At The End Of Life
- Raimondo: State Wants Better Deal on PawSox' Proposed Ballpark
- PawSox Seek Meeting with Raimondo; Team Signals Flexibility After Negative Reaction to Proposal
Mon May 20, 2013
Thousands of College Students Graduate Over the Weekend
Rhode Island is teeming with freshly minted college graduates this morning. Over the weekend, commencement ceremonies were held at all three public colleges, as well as Johnson &Wales, Roger Williams University, Bryant University, Salve Regina University and Providence College.
At Rhode Island College a flash mob formed at the end of the ceremony. Graduates from the music, theater and dance departments led the crowd of 1,400 in a special rendition of “I’ve had the Time of My Life.”
The largest of the ceremonies was at the University of Rhode Island, which conferred over 3,200 degrees. Gov. Lincoln Chafee addressed the graduates.
"As you commence the next chapter of your lively experiment, let me bring the best wishes of Rhode Islanders to you on this happy occasion," said Chafee, "and wish you lives of prosperity, fulfillment in the years to come. Congratulations, 2013. Go get ‘em."
The URI graduation ceremony was held indoors this year for security reasons.
All told, nearly 12,000 baccalaureate degrees were conferred on Rhode Island scholars this weekend.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com