Providence, RI – Should Providence city government address its deficit mess by declaring bankruptcy? Rhode Island Public Radio political analyst Scott MacKay says this is no panacea for the red ink in the city budget.
PROVIDENCE, RI – Rhode Island's U.S. Senate election this year ought to generate interest, excitement and debate. But so far it has yielded only yawns, says RIPR political analyst Scott MacKay.
Last week's Brown University public opinion survey carried some bad news for incumbent Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse. Almost 60 percent of respondents think the Newport Democrat is doing only a "fair" or "poor" job. And his good or excellent ratings are only about 30 percent.
PROVIDENCE, RI – There has been more rhetoric than reality in the latest dispute between Brown University and Mayor Angel Taveras and his city council allies. With city government awash in red ink, the pols are hungrily eyeing the tax-exempt Brown property on College Hill as a source of sorely needed money.
PROVIDENCE, RI – Rhode Islanders pretty much always know where U.S. Sen. Jack Reed stands on issues. But RIPR political analyst Scott MacKay has found a hot-button social issue on which Reed has been mum.
Jack Reed has long been Rhode Island's most respected political figure. Even in the anti-Washington and anti-incumbent swirl that has enveloped the nation's capitol, every Rhode Island public opinion survey for years has shown high job approval ratings for Reed.
PROVIDENCE, RI – Both sides are impassioned in the debate over the pension overhaul. Rhode Island Public Radio political analyst Scott MacKay reminds us that in order to fix this critical problem, everyone must be willing to compromise.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com.
PROVIDENCE, RI – The ragtag army that is the Occupy Wall Street movement has been ridiculed by politicians, talk show nation and many in the media. But with a Congressional Budget Office report showing the top 1 percent nearly tripled their wealth in the last 30 years, RIPR political analyst Scott MacKay says this protest seems to be resonating with the remaining 99 percent.
PROVIDENCE, RI – The General Assembly has not helped its image much lately. But Rhode Island's pension mess has given the Smith Hill crowd a chance at redemption, says RIPR political analyst Scott MacKay.
PROVIDENCE, RI – A year is a lifetime in politics these days, but there is little doubt that Cicilline's reelection has drawn the most interest so far. A flock of credible candidates are lining up to challenge the freshman Democrat and he is out meeting and greeting as if the vote was taking place next month rather than next year.