Below are current career opportunities at Rhode Island Public Radio. Scroll down for details.
Fill-In / Part-Time On-Air Hosts
Rhode Island Public Radio has immediate openings for fill-in / part-time On-Air Hosts.
The successful candidate must demonstrate excellent vocal presentation, strong technical skills and meticulous attention to detail. RIPR is seeking warm and friendly hosts, with the flexibility and skill to fill a variety of live and pre-recorded shifts. Candidate should enjoy working independently and be comfortable adapting to changing technology.
Must be available to work either early mornings, weekends, afternoons and holidays at times. The hourly rate is depending on experience. A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years professional broadcast experience is required. Public radio experience is a plus. Must be proficient in digital audio editing software and comfortable with live board operation and automation. Must have experience preparing, writing, and delivering newscasts.
RIPR service includes news networks, RIPR.org and mobile service. This position is based in our Providence studios.
Apply online only to firstname.lastname@example.org using “On Air Host” in the subject line with cover letter, resume and three work samples provided as attachments or URLs. No Phone Calls Please.
Audio Production Internships
We are not currently accepting applications; typically applications are sought at the beginning of the fall/spring academic semesters. Below is the position description if you wish to familiarize yourself with the role.
The audio production intern will work one, three-hour shift per week on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday for approximately 2 to 4 months. Duties include: editing music for use as background and buttons; editing promos for local features and events; editing national programming promos for local broadcast; assisting the Operations & Production Manager with other audio production tasks. Familiarity with digital audio or video editing software is preferred.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to James Baumgartner: email@example.com
Rhode Island Public Radio is currently seeking interns for the newsroom internship.
Interns will work two, four-hour shifts per week in the newsroom writing and producing stories for the daily newscasts. Duties include: researching, interviewing both in the newsroom and out in the field, editing audio, and writing news copy. Interns will also post their stories on the RIPR website and assist with other duties in the newsroom. This is a great opportunity to learn the core skills of broadcast journalism while working alongside experienced journalists. Internship shifts run from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM or Noon - 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to Elisabeth Harrison: firstname.lastname@example.org
RHODE ISLAND PUBLIC RADIO is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Rhode Island Public Radio does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, ethnicity, gender, age, marital status, disability, medical condition, or sexual orientation. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
In accordance with FCC guidelines, Rhode Island Public Radio is required to provide notification of full-time job vacancies to organizations involved in assisting job seekers upon request by such organization. As a public service, Rhode Island Public Radio Human Resources office will provide notification of jobs to interested organizations. To request notification, write:
Rhode Island Public Radio
1 Union Station
Providence, RI 02903
Rhode Island Public Radio is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion to maintain a fair, unbiased work environment and to enhance its ability to effectively serve the public. RIPR values an environment is grounded in respect and inclusion, enriching the experience of listeners and readers, and supports a positive workplace that promotes excellence, and cultivates the intellectual and personal growth of the entire community.
RIPR supports nondiscrimination policies and commits to equal opportunity, affirmative action and diversity.
RIPR’s Diversity Goals
- To recruit and retain a diverse workforce that is representative of our service area.
- To provide equal opportunity in employment.
- To educate its management and staff in best practices for maintaining an inclusive and diverse environment for all persons.
RIPR Diversity Practices and Initiatives
- RIPR is committed to diversity and equal employment opportunity in every aspect of personnel policy and practice including: recruitment, selection, placement, training and advancement of employees.
- Recruitment for employment opportunities at RIPR takes place through an open and fair process.
- RIPR job postings are submitted to professional minority organizations consistent with its established FCC EEO program with the goal of attracting a diverse candidate pool. Special effort will be made by RIPR management and search committee members to recruit minority candidates.
- RIPR management and other appropriate staff will attend training seminars or workshops in order to learn ways to create a more diverse workforce and to maintain a culture of respect and non-discrimination. RIPR management will review practices designed to fulfill RIPR’s commitment to diversity and to meet applicable FCC guidelines.
Diversity at RIPR
- RIPR has 19 full time members of its public radio staff.
- Women comprise a total of 47% of RIPR’s full time staff.
- RIPR’s staff generally reflects the demographic makeup of its listening area and we will continue to recruit diverse candidates for future open positions.
For our EEO Reports, please download the PDFs below.