Most Active Stories
- Experts To Brief Lawmakers On Hep C In RI; Cost Of Treatment Likely To Come Up During Budget Talks
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Raimondo's Budget Challenges And Secrecy
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Alexander-Scott Nominated To Lead Health Dept.
- Gordon Fox: Financial Problems at the Apex of Political Power in RI
This I Believe Rhode Island
Tue September 10, 2013
This I Believe Rhode Island: Miracles
The nineteenth century novelist Joseph Conrad once wrote, “My task, which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word, to make you hear, to make you feel--it is, before all, to make you see.” And that is exactly what this NPR series aims to do. Featured essayists stitch together words that let you peek inside their core beliefs, their struggles to understand their world, their insights about what matters most in life. Sometimes these words are expressed in prose, sometimes in poetry. And as with Rhode Island's state poet Rick Benjamin, sometimes we enjoy both poetry and prose.
Rick Benjamin is the state poet of Rhode Island. He works in a variety of educational and community settings, and especially enjoys working with people aged six to, at this moment, 99. Benjamin lives with his family in Pawtuxet Village.