WRNI – During life's most stressful and perplexing moments, some of us yearn for a little bit of magic, or perhaps a lot of magic, to help us weather the storm. And what about those magical moments when we feel deeply moved by mysteries of the universe or in awe of some sort of natural phenomenon? Maybe, just maybe, as Ben Jolivet believes, there is real magic in our lives.
PROVIDENCE, RI – Governor Lincoln Chafee's plan to plug a huge state deficit he inherited has met a hail of criticism. WRNI political analyst Scott Mackay wonders if some of these naysayers have a better idea.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com.
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Rhode Island is pretty much in the middle of a national state ranking of wage gaps between men and women.
Rhode Island women earn, on average, about $40,000 a year compared to the average man's wage of $50,000. That's a 20 percent difference, according to a report published by the National Partnership for Women and Families, a nonprofit group that promotes workplace fairness.
The Partnership's Sarah Crawford says women with children fair even worse.
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Some 20,000 anglers woke up early this past Saturday morning, grabbed their fishing poles, and put in a line on opening day of Rhode Island's freshwater fishing season. Fish & Wildlife officials say opening day might be the largest sporting event in the state.
It's cold and dark with just a hint of morning light as Phil Casto fiddles with his daughter's fishing line. "I'm rigging up the pole for my daughter Luciana," Casto says.
Providence, RI – The death toll connected to contaminated pastries at Defusco's bakery in Johnston has risen to two.
The elderly man in his 90s from Providence County ate a pastry from DeFusco's bakery on March 19th and started feeling symptoms of salmonella poisoning six days later. He spent more than a week in the hospital before he died Thursday.
Annemarie Beardsworth with the Department of Health says sick, older residents are particularly vulnerable to the food borne illness.
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – If the federal government shuts down, the Rhode Island National Guard says it will tell 40 percent of its employees to stay home on Monday. Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Denis Riel says the remaining 60 percent of its staff will show up for work but not get paid.
Riel says the Guard's biggest concern is making sure troops and their families are aware of the state's military relief fund.