Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
Thu December 27, 2012
2012 News Countdown: Gist recovers from brain surgery
It was a busy year in the Ocean State, and Rhode Island Public Radio’s counting down the top ten news stories of 2012. At number eight is Education Commissioner Deborah Gists’ recovery from brain surgery.
The brain tumor was discovered back in August after Gist suffered a concussion from hitting her head while aboard an airplane. It was believed to be a meningioma, which is a slow growing tumor that’s usually benign. The surgery took place in Boston. There were no complications during surgery. Gist stayed in touch with her staff while out on medical leave, and RIDE Deputy Commissioner, David Abbott, stepped in as acting commissioner.
Gist returned to work last month. She says she returned with enthusiasm and excited to be back at work.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org