Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Joe Paolino vs. Edie Ajello?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates Start Taking Off The Gloves
Mon November 5, 2012
21 questions for Election Day in Rhode Island
It’s almost all over but the voting. Some questions to consider:
1. If David Cicilline loses, does he try to stage a comeback in 2014?
2. If Brendan Doherty loses, does he move to the head of the list of possible GOP gubernatorial candidates in 2014?
3. How come the RI Republican Party can’t find a GOP candidate for John Loughlin’s old seat in a conservative part of the state?
4. If Doherty loses, will it be because he waited too long to get his message rolling, or because Democrats had a far better ground game?
5. If Doherty wins, will there be a bigger secondary winner (beyond the candidate) than his rookie campaign manager, Ian Prior?
6. Will the RI GOP be validated in its strategy of running a smaller number of stronger candidates?
7. Will Cranston Mayor Allan Fung start moving toward a gubernatorial run in 2014?
8. How does it scramble the gubernatorial outlook for 2014 if the pension overhaul gets tossed in court, and if the state is able to recover a good chunk of the $100 million or so owed over 38 Studios?
9. What is the margin of the vote between Gordon Fox and Mark Binder, and does it affect Fox’s hold on the speakership?
10. Will voters in other states vote in favor of same-sex marriage? If they do, does that influence the dynamic on Smith Hill?
11. Does a small faction of fiscally conservative, socially moderate lawmakers show the way forward for Republicans in the General Assembly?
12. If voters expand gambling in Rhode Island, how long will it take before saturation across southern New England leads to diminishing returns?
13. What’s next for Barry Hinckley?
14. How do voters take out their anger over 38 Studios?
15. If Cicilline loses, does Angel Taveras seriously think about running in CD1 in 2014?
16. If Cicilline wins, was it the Democrat-controlled redistricting process that put him over the top?
17. If Jim Langevin wins, will he remain electorally invincible until one day deciding not to seek re-election?
18. Does James Diossa run up a big vote, in the first of two votes in Central Falls, as the face of the future for that city?
19. If Doherty wins, can he really have a moderate influence on the GOP in the House?
20. Will this mostly be a status quo election for the General Assembly?
21. How long until we start obsessing about the 2014 gubernatorial race?