Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Wed November 13, 2013
Alex And Ani Founder Seeks EDC Grant for Belcourt Upgrades
The founder of Alex and Ani is seeking a grant from the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation. The grant is to help make Belcourt Castle in Newport more eco-friendly.
Alex and Ani founder Carolyn Rafaelian bought Belcourt Castle, renamed it Belcourt of Newport, and is now refurbishing the place. Rafaelian is seeking a grant of $18,500 for a solar array and a geothermal heating and cooling system. The grant would come from the EDC’s Renewable Energy Fund.
The EDC put off a vote on awarding the grant at its last meeting after two board members recused themselves due to a conflict of interest. One of them was Rhode Island College president Nancy Carriuolo, who cited Alex and Ani’s recent $1 million gift for a new building.
The EDC will take up the grant request at its meeting this month.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com